William Frederick Knutz was born 3 Jan 1886 to Nicholaus and Franken (Nessan) Knutz, at Tating, Germany. He immigrated with his family to the United States in 1888, settling in Pettis county, Missouri, among a settlement of other German immigrants. In 1908, he left his family and traveled northward to Iowa, and then to South Dakota, where he obtained employment as a farm hand. In his spare time, he enjoyed amateur boxing and attending barn dances.
Elvirta May Graves was born20 Sep 1890 in Peoria co., Illinois to Thomas and Nettie (Lair) Graves. About 1908, her family moved to the Esmond, South Dakota area. It was at a barn dance where she met William Knutz, who had decided to attend the dance with his boss after work. They were married on 30 Mar 1910 at Huron, South Dakota, where they made their home.
lived on several farms in Beadle county until retiring in 1958 and moving
into town. Will was a member of the Internation Order of Odd Fellows,
and Virta enjoyed crochet and embroidery. Will died on 14 Jan 1966
from cancer, and Virta died on 2 May 1972 from an acute coronary.
They are both buried at Riverside Cemetery in Huron, Beadle county, South
The children of Will and Virta Knutz are:
1) Leonard Wilfred Knutz, b. 10 Feb 1911, d. 14 Mar 1911
2) William Frederick Knutz, Jr., b. 26 Dec 1911, d. 8 Aug 1996
3) Howard Vernon Knutz, b. 27 Nov 1913, d. 12 July 1983
4) Richard LeRoy Knutz, b. 7 Dec 1917, d. 15 May 1973
5) Evelyn May Knutz, b. 13 Feb 1920, d. 4 Mar 1920
6) Mabel Maxine Knutz, b. 20 June 1923
Dorothy Jean Knutz, b. 26 Feb 1932